Here is the information about the 2023 Season. All practices will be held a Pullen Aquatic Center
Tryouts: Saturday January 21st (10am-12pm) – 3 lanes at Pullen Aquatic Center and will be open to those athletes who have shown interest in joining the team. This will be a time for the coaches to work with the athletes and the parents to ask questions about the team. Unfortunately, the number of athletes that will be able to join will be limited based on the open slots available on the team.
Clinics: Saturdays 10am-12pm – 3 lanes – First session will be from 10am-11am and second session will be from 11am-12pm. There will be enough room for 6 athletes per session. Just like previous years, slots will be filled based on who responds first. If your athlete already knows how to swim the stroke please leave the slot open for those athletes who need help.
- January 28th – Breaststroke
- February 4th – Backstroke
- February 11th – Freestyle/Open
Regular Practice: Tuesday/Thursday 6pm-8pm – 6 lanes (Feb. 14 – May 30). Roster of who is in early and late practice will come soon. For those returning, your time will not change from last season.
Swim Meets – Below are the swim meets that I am aware of at this time. We may have a meet with MOR like previous years but that is yet to be determined. If anything changes this page will be updated.
- Greensboro Meet – April 29th (May stay overnight Friday 28th)
- Duke Meet – TBD
- Summer Games – June 2nd – June 4th
Friday, June 3
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm – Check in for athletes begins at Bragaw. Coaches and other volunteers will be onsite to assist athletes in getting their belongings into the dorm. Wake County will be staying in Lee Dorm. See a map of campus.
Parking on Campus
Everyone should enter from Western Blvd. via Gorman Street.
From Gorman, you will turn onto Sullivan which will lead you to Lee Lot.
Everyone must unload in Lee Lot – there are no other areas available to unload this year.
Volunteers will direct you where to park. Buses will be directed to West Lot.
- 4:30 pm – Fountain Dining Hall opens for dinner. Menu available here.
- 6:30 pm – Head to Opening Ceremonies at NC State Reynolds Coliseum. All athletes should wear the blue Wake County Special Olympics shirts you received at practice, or on Friday when you arrive at the dorms. All coaches should wear your blue SOWC coaches polo shirts.
- 7:30 pm – Opening Ceremonies begins.
- 8:45 pm – Opening Ceremonies ends.
Saturday, June 4
- 6 am – Breakfast pickup at Fountain Dining Hall.
- 7:30 am – Depart for TAC.
- 8:00 am – Athletes arrive at TAC.
- 8:15 am – Warm-ups begin
- 9:00 am – 4:30 pm – Competition. Lunch will be provided mid-day.
- 5:30 pm – Dinner at Fountain Dining Hall. Menu available here.
- 7:00 pm – Dance/Olympic Town at Talley Student Union – NC State University
- 9:00 pm – Return to dorms for shower/bed. Athletes should pack everything tonight to be prepared to leave and go home on Sunday morning.
Sunday, June 5
- 6:00am – Breakfast available for pickup at Fountain Dining Hall.
- 8:00 am – Pick up athletes from Bragaw to go home.
Athlete Packing List
Athletes need to bring the following items if staying in the dorms. For those just attending the meet you can review the post What to Bring to a Swim Meet.
- Bed linens (sheets or sleeping bag, blanket, etc)
- Towels (one for showering, one for the pool)
- Pillow with pillowcase
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, feminine hygiene products, deodorant, shampoo, soap, shaving materials)
- Clothes (Nice outfit for the dance on Saturday, blue Wake County SONC shirt for Friday’s Opening Ceremonies, pajamas)
- Swimming gear (goggles, towels, swim caps, water bottle, deck shoes)
- Money for souvenirs or snacks
- Entertainment for competition and downtime (books, magazines, headphones, etc)
- Medications clearly labeled.
NO! Practice will be held as scheduled on our team calendar. See you there.
If there is a chance of thunderstorms, check your email and this page for updates on practice.
Last Updated: 8:27am 05-03-2022